Thursday, November 4, 2010

While we are on the subject of Bears...

My grandfather (Papa) was a wonderful man and incredibly creative. He would carve the most amazing, detailed Santas out of blocks of wood and also woodland animals and paint them colorfully.


I once asked him to make me something for my birthday and he carved me a family of bears which I treasure. I quickly sketched and painted them about a year or so ago and thought I would post them today.





                                      

5 comments:

  1. so happy to finally see the finished pieces ... I really like the pencil sketch (especially the feet on the bear sitting down!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful gift that you can cherish always... I'm partial to the watercolor rendition, but both are wonderful as usual, KJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the updated group shot photo ... nice styling and composition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. : ) Thanks. Originally I included a walking stick for the back bear and a few fish on a string for the baby bear, but I thought maybe it felt over-propped : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Papa would have loved this. So sweet and love the 3 takes on the bears. Beautiful sister! And I'm with Gretchen, I love the feet of the small bear in your sketch. :)

    ReplyDelete